2021 STUDENT LEADERS
Congratulations to our 2021 Student Leaders, as follows:
- JUNIOR SCHOOL - Samiah Kuschel and Charlie Soper
- MIDDLE SCHOOL - Tarsha Humphrey and Bailey Fox
- SENIOR SCHOOL - Summer Grimstead and Jack Murdoch
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Yankalilla Area School Student Leaders are role models for the entire school. They were selected based on a selection criteria of:
- the demonstration of ongoing commitment to the values of YAS
- excellent effort and attitude to learning
- excellent record of behaviour and general conduct
Student Leaders play an important role in assisting with the organising and presenting at school events and they will:
- act as MC at school assemblies and events
- provide student voice on governing council and sub-committee meetings
- represent our school at community functions
- provide school tours to special visitors
- provide student voice on school related issues
- positively promote the school and the role of student leader
- support students to implement improvement and legacy initiatives
Leaders should show and use initiative and display appropriate behaviour at all times. They may be required to commit personal time to some tasks.
In addition to the responsibilities listed above Student Leaders will be responsible for the implementation and management of traffic monitors and a food scrap recycling program.
Student Leaders will be given opportunities to develop their leadership skills and also participate in the ‘Principal for a Day’ program.
Student Leaders will meet as a group fortnightly and then will joined by staff leaders in the following fortnightly meeting. They will liaise with the sub school leaders regarding addressing their sub school classes on a regular basis.
Staff leaders in attendance will be the Principal, Sub School Leaders and Student Leader Coordinator.
Student leaders will be required to set the agenda, chair and take minutes of these meetings and provide copies to attendees.
In addition to the preparation of minutes, Student Leaders will be asked to report via the School Newsletter on programs such as ‘Principal for a Day’, and provide a report of student voice for the school Annual Report.
Leaders will act as a voice for their peers as well as providing fellow students with feedback from their meetings with Staff Leaders and sub committees.
They meet fortnightly, once as a group and then with Sub School Leaders, to discuss responsibilities and report on any issues.